Bledsoe, Texas 2010
Earthbound Moon's first installation, "Welcome" by Heidi Hove was just outside of Bledsoe, TX. The community of Bledsoe sits close to the New Mexico border in western Texas on a high, ancient plain, the Llano Estacado. Previously home to the Apache and Comanche, the arid expanse was settled in earnest with the arrival of cattle ranchers in the latter part of the nineteenth century. The town of Bledsoe arose with the arrival of the railroad in 1925, where it was the terminus of the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway. At its peak in 1930, the town was a bustling, cattle-shipping station of four hundred people. The Great Depression and Dust Bowl suddenly halted its growth. Bledsoe is now a quiet town of roughly sixty people. There are no stores or services. An active church and school gymnasium, mainly used for class reunions, are the main community centers. The EbM purchased lot is located deep in the center of the Branding Iron Subdivision, one mile south of Bledsoe along Highway 125. The planned community currently consists of sand dunes covered in short, sturdy shin oaks. It’s a remarkable area of several hundred acres fenced off from the tidier surrounding pastures.